I really have no excuse as to why I have never properly attempted to make my own mayonnaise before beyond the convenience of reaching for the Best Foods. I’ve read many a recipe, bookmarked a few, bothered never. Until now. My saying that it’s entirely worth the effort (this isn’t hard: very little is required) isn’t enough: just do it, taste it for yourself and see. Further adding to its merits? It’s low carb and absolutely zero sugar. Marvellous.
- 1 large egg yolk (free range and room temperature)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp crushed garlic (omit if simply wanting to make mayonnaise)
- Juice of 1 lemon or 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup neutral oil (I used light olive oil)
- In a narrow glass intended for stick mixer use, or blender, mix the egg yolk, mustard, garlic, lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper until combined.
- With the mixer on, add the oil in a slow stream and watch it emulsify.
- If a thinner consistency is desired, add a little boiling water (just teaspoonfuls) at a time.
- Store in a sterilised jar for up to two weeks.