- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder/isolate (I used NutraWhey)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 25g sour cream or Greek yoghurt (a large spoonful, basically)
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Butter and sugar-free maple syrup for topping
- Separate the eggs, placing the whites in a small bowl. Beat until fluffy with stiff peaks.
- Beat the yolks together with the protein, baking powder, xanthan gum, vanilla essence and sour cream or yoghurt. Quickly beat in the egg whites until just combined.
- Heat a little coconut oil in a small nonstick fry pan over medium heat. Pour a third of the batter into the pan and tip the pan to spread the batter evenly. It’s ready to flip when bubbles are starting to appear on the surface. Cook the other side for 30 seconds -1 minute.
- Continue with the rest of the batter, then top each pancake with a little melted butter and syrup – or whatever topping you fancy, really. These would also be utterly marvellous served with crispy, streaky bacon.