- 1 large egg yolk (free range and room temperature)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp crushed garlic (omit if simply wanting to make mayonnaise)
- Juice of 1 lemon or 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup neutral oil (I used light olive oil)
- In a narrow glass intended for stick mixer use, or blender, mix the egg yolk, mustard, garlic, lemon juice and plenty of salt and pepper until combined.
- With the mixer on, add the oil in a slow stream and watch it emulsify.
- If a thinner consistency is desired, add a little boiling water (just teaspoonfuls) at a time.
- Store in a sterilised jar for up to two weeks.