Lucy’s ginger crunch
- 175g butter, softened
- 170g sugar
- 170g flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- 125g butter
- 180g icing sugar
- 50g golden syrup
- 5 tsp ground ginger
- 50ml cream
- 100g good quality dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325F/175C bake setting. Grease and line a 20x25cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Make the shortbread base by beating the softened butter and sugar together until fluffy. Mix in the dry ingredients by hand.
- Press into the slice tin, ensuring it is covered evenly by using the bottom of a mug or glass to push it down firmly. Bake for 20-25 minutes until it is starting to turn golden and crisp at the edges.
- While the base is baking, prep the toppings. Make the ginger icing by combining all the ingredients in a small saucepan and mixing together by hand over low heat. Stir frequently so the sugar does not crystallise and catch. Set aside.
- Prepare the ganache by bringing the cream to boil (this takes seconds) in another saucepan. Immediately add the chocolate, broken into pieces, stirring until combined and melted.
- Allow the slice to cool for half an hour before pouring the ginger icing on top of the base and spreading evenly with an offset spatula. Drop small dollops of the ganache on top all over the ginger topping. Marble through with a bamboo skewer.
- Leave to cool for a further half an hour before sprinkling with the extra toppings. Cut into pieces when completely cool with a warm, sharp knife.