paleo banana bread
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 120g extra virgin coconut oil – at room temperature if soft, or warmed slightly if too cold and solidified
- 1/4 cup/50g rice malt/maple syrup
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cocoa/cacao powder
- 80g almond meal
- 40g coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup/100g walnuts/nuts of choice
- Preheat oven to 180C/375F bake setting. Grease and line a loaf tin with nonstick paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil, syrup and eggs at high speed until combined.
- Add the bananas, vanilla essence, cinnamon and cocoa powder, beating further until mixed through.
- Sift in the almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Fold through the wet mixture. Pour the batter into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the top has formed a crunchy crust and the loaf springs back when pressed.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing from the tin. Cut slices while still warm and serve on its own (ideally alongside a cup of tea), or slathered in butter.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to a month. Best served warm.