pink lemonade bars
- 225g butter, softened
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- Juice of 3 lemons (plus zest if omitting raspberries)
- 10g freeze-dried raspberry powder/whole raspberries (I have not tried this using fresh)
- A few drops pink food colouring
- Freeze dried raspberries for decorating
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C bake. Grease and line a 9 x 13 inch pan with baking paper.
- Beat together the butter and first measurements of flour and white sugar to make the shortbread base – it will be crumbly to work with when combined. Press into the prepared pan to make an even layer.
- Bake the base for 20 minutes until lightly golden.
- While the base is tanning, beat together the eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, raspberry powder and food colouring. The eggs should be well beaten and the mixture slightly frothy. Pour over the baked base, and pop back in the oven for another 20 minutes. While the slice is still hot, decorate the top with a few hand crushed dried raspberries. The topping may still feel a bit gooey when you do this – it will continue to cook more as it cools.
- Once cooled completely, sift a little icing sugar on top to finish, remove from the baking pan and cut into pieces.