While I may have made this salad during my week off, it’s the perfect thing to bring to work for a healthy lunch.
Made with creme fraiche, the lemony-dill dressing can be drizzled over your leaves on the morning of serving – it’s creamy enough not to let the leaves go soggy, and nor is it liquid enough to leak through your bag (something that has unfortunately left a few of my own smelling like meat marinades – not the most welcome smell in such a place, let’s be honest). I brought it along for a lunch date catch up with a dear friend, however the ingredients could just as easily be prepped on one day to be spread out over two. It was obviously utterly dreamy to make this in my family kitchen (below), however it requires minimal equipment and expertise to create an elegantly flavoursome salad such as this!
As evidenced above, I took a few Youtube tutorials here and here on how to make an avocado rose with little success. I don’t think I got the width of the slices quite right initially – too thick to arrange properly. On my attempt with second half, however, I found myself frustrated with the friability of the pieces as I attempted to push them across the chopping board (perhaps the friction of the wood was not quite right?). My efforts still look reasonably aesthetically pleasing, however I think that’s all thanks to the avocado itself and less to my dexterity.
This recipe makes enough for two filling salad portions.
smoked salmon salad with pine nuts and lemon dill dressing
- 200g smoked salmon
- 2 big handfuls rocket/leafy greens
- A selection of fresh salad vegetables – I used 1 red capsicum, chopped and a few cherry tomatoes
- 30g pine nuts
- 1 avocado, finely sliced/attempted to cut into rose
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing together. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Dry roast the pine nuts in a small fry pan over medium heat, stirring frequently until turning golden brown and becoming fragrant. Set aside to cool before serving.
- Arrange the rocket and vegetables in your tupperware if transporting or on plates if serving at home. Drizzle liberally with the creme fraiche dressing, then top with the salmon, pine nuts and finally the thinly sliced avocado. Season with salt and pepper and serve.